In today’s medical field, cancer patients can avail more benefits before the treatment begins. The state-of-the-art technology in the advancement of medical science can cure or reduce the chances of risk for cancer patients. Doctors recommend that the patients should have adequate rest and have a healthy diet by planning better foods for cancer patients for personalized cancer care.
A complete guide to foods for cancer patients
Foods for cancer prevention ensure good nutrition during cancer treatment to boost the overall wellbeing of an individual and maximize the benefits of treatment. A proper cancer patient’s diet plan helps in providing energy, building the immune system to protect from getting infections and maintaining the integrity of the organ system to prevent illness
Listed below are the recommended foods for cancer patients which can be taken before, during and after the treatment.
- Intake of vegetables like tomatoes, peas, carrots, pumpkin, parsley has a rich content of vitamins and fibre. It is highly recommended for patients with prostate cancer.
- Cruciferous vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, contain plant chemicals to convert bad oestrogen into good oestrogen which in turn reduces the cancer risk besides risk of a relapse.
- Asparagus and Brussel sprouts are the best foods for cancer patients as it contains a rich source of antioxidants to boost immunity. Taking bitter gourd will lower blood sugar levels.
- Moreover, carrots can reduce the risk of stomach cancer and green leafy vegetables can be taken as it has enough calcium and iron to energise the body.
Fruits and Dry Fruits
- Intake of fruits like oranges provide the cancer patients with Vitamin C content and other vitamins and fibres can be obtained from bananas, peaches, kiwi, mangoes, blueberries, strawberries and pears.
- Eating avocados, walnuts, guava, apples, figs, apricots, prunes and raisins also will also boost energy as these are also suggested foods for cancer prevention.
- Having rice, noodles, pasta, chapati, oats, whole grain bread, wholegrain crackers, corn, beans, potatoes and dairy products should also be included in a cancer patient’s diet plan as carbohydrates are highly essential.
- Consuming honey in moderation will help prevent infections because it has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties as it is among the energized foods for cancer prevention.
- Foods for cancer patients should include protein foods by consuming lean meat, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy products, nuts, dhals, chickpeas, dhals.
- Fish and soy foods also contain enough protein, vitamin B and omega 3 fatty acids which is especially good for prostate cancer patients.
Foods to avoid or limit
It is vital to cut back on foods in a cancer patient’s diet plan because it can aggravate the health of the cancer patients.
- Avoid deep fried, barbecued, grilled, and baked meats along with red meat and processed meats like ham, sausages and bacon.
- Excessive intake of salt, sugar and oily foods has to be avoided.
- Minimise intake of unwashed fruits and vegetables, minimally cooked eggs and uncooked cold cuts.
- Pay extra attention by not consuming unpasteurised milk, raw seafood such as sushi or sashimi.
- Preserved foods like pickles, jams, contain nitrites which are carcinogenic and may also increase the chance of risk of cancer.
- Minimise the intake of alcohol and quit smoking.
Doctors suggest foods for cancer prevention should not have excessive vitamin supplements, as they have antioxidants and can interfere with chemotherapy when it is taken in large doses.
To conclude, the cancer patient’s diet plan depends on many factors including the types of cancer treatments, side effects, and the overall health condition and preferences of the cancer patients.
So, it is always recommended to consult an expert for foods for cancer patients to deliver care and comfort at the time of treatment.
What do I eat prior to going to chemotherapy?
1.Plain or Fruited yogurt
2.New leafy foods cheddar
3.Poached egg and toast
During chemotherapy take a little, dull nibble with you. You can attempt the above food sources as well as bite on low corrosive juices (apple, grape, and natural product nectars), fluid yogurts, natural products like bananas, and wafers.
Read also Best Cancer Doctors in India.