With the increasingly aging population, the cancer burden is growing rapidly worldwide. Recognizing the urgent need for the older patients, VS hospitals has launched the first geriatric oncology in Chennai unit in South India after stronger research on the diagnosis and treatment of geriatric cancer along with survivorship care for older adults.
The older patients have comorbidities, often frail and on multiple medications managing them could be a challenging task as they differ from that of the younger cancer patients. This cancer hospital in India is a one-stop centre for older adults aged 65 and above, as they are provided with comprehensive and customized treatment plans and care compiled using cutting-edge techniques, effective tools, and assessments to support them along their cancer journey.
What is Geriatric Oncology?
The centre of geriatric oncology specializes in providing highly customized care for the older patients with cancer as highly they might be in need of. No matter what kind of cancer they have, referring to an expert doctor in the cancer hospital in India will work hand-in-hand with other oncologists.
Who Choose Geriatric Oncology?
The older people who have cancer usually face challenges to lead a healthy life and resume their normal day-to-day activities. The criteria which are required by the geriatric cancer patients to get a comprehensive treatment in the centre of geriatric oncology in Chennai include the following:
If he/she is an active person who is aged 65 or over, and may be looking for cancer care that recognizes the desire to return to an active life.
If an older adult becomes frail or impaired, have multiple conditions requiring medication routines and complex care and no longer get adequate support from the caregivers.
If an older patient has medical conditions besides cancer, opting for a safe and effective treatment in geriatric oncology can be of great help.
Moreover, getting an individualized and an advanced care for geriatric cancer is must because most cancer treatments done with younger patients is standard and also the treatment procedures may vary when compared with that of the older patients.
What is Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment?
While geriatric oncology in Chennai is considered, the geriatric oncologist will perform a geriatric assessment to identify the health conditions that may impact the cancer care. It covers a wide variety of issues that can impact the cancer care for an older patient and a highly personal guidance is provided relating to the cancer treatment. Some of them include:
Current health and medical conditions
Issues with memory or falling
Symptoms of cancer
Level of physical ability
Side effects from geriatric cancer treatment
Medications that could affect chemotherapy
Situation relating to home care
In general, the assessment takes about a duration of two hours. It is conducted completely by a multidisciplinary team of experts that includes a geriatric oncologist, an occupational therapist, a physical therapist, a nutritionist, a pharmacist and a social worker.
Geriatric Oncology Program Services:
The services of geriatric oncology to treat the older patients in the best cancer hospital in India like the VS Hospitals include the following:
- Palliative Care: This addresses the treatment of pain and symptoms relating to the geriatric cancer, helps in navigating the healthcare system, aids in providing guidance with complex treatment choices, support for the spiritual and psychosocial aspects of care. This cancer hospital also helps the older patients with advanced care planning, advanced directives and medication management.
- Occupational Therapy Rehabilitation: It is established to improve the ability to perform the routine activities of daily living such as bathing, dressing, grooming, and energy conservation techniques for a decreased endurance.
- Physical Therapy Rehabilitation: It services to geriatric cancer patients who have difficulty with a balance in walking, experience lymphedema, weakness, or decreased endurance with activity.
- Speech Language Pathology Rehabilitation: This is addressed in the centre of geriatric oncology to check the older patients who have speaking or swallowing problems that have resulted from surgery and/or radiation treatment.
- Pharmacy: The pharmacist in this cancer hospital in India provides expertise in medication management. Each patient is referred for pharmacy review to undergo a comprehensive medication assessment that mainly focuses on drug interactions assessment, drug optimization, and de-escalation of inappropriate therapies. The pharmacist will keep working alongside the patient’s primary health care provider, oncologist, and other specialists to make sure appropriate medication is used during the treatment of geriatric cancer.
- Nutrition Counselling: The nutrition specialists help in managing the symptoms before, during and after the treatment of geriatric cancer. They incorporate individual dietary needs with the goal to develop a nutrition plan that suits the best patient besides complementing their health conditions.
- Hospice: Palliative care is provided for the patients in the centre of geriatric oncology in Chennai especially keeping in mind the older patients who are terminally ill individuals and who no longer receive curative treatment for their underlying disease.
- Social Work: All the practical and emotional needs of patients and family members are completely addressed, including spiritual, housing, insurance, financial, and transportation concerns.
VS Hospitals – The Best Treatment for Geriatric Oncology in Chennai
- The geriatric oncology centre in VS Hospitals is considered to be the first dedicated centre in India that is exclusively designed to help the older patients with geriatric cancer.
- The infrastructure of this best cancer hospital in India is designed to provide personalized care for older adults who suffer from various forms of cancers.
- The expert team here provides personalized care for the older patients by making a detailed evaluation of medical, functionals and psychosocial problems to ensure they get quality care.
- Moreover, the multidisciplinary medical team helps in identifying the areas of vulnerability, predict toxicity along with survival, assist in clinical decision-making, guide in developing the individualised treatment plans, improve provider-patient communication and also predicts treatment completion.
To summarize, VS Hospitals, the best cancer hospital in India has a multidisciplinary team comprising specialists to offer state-of-the-art treatments in palliative care, pharmacy, rehabilitation, surgical oncology, medical oncology, radical oncology, geriatric oncology in Chennai. The experts here ensure the patient’s diagnosis and treatment information are assessed properly to provide quality care besides making recommendations that could benefit the patient in each and every way.