Chennai is a prominent center for advanced medical facilities in India. If you’re seeking treatment for digestive system disorders, you can approach VS Hospitals as this leading hospital has a top-notch Gastroenterologist Specialist in Chennai for providing comprehensive care with advanced medical facilities.
Who is a Gastroenterology Specialist?
A Gastroenterology Specialist can help you deal with any gastrointestinal tract disease. A Gastroenterologist Specialist in Chennai treats a patient by performing endoscopic procedures to view or diagnose the GI tracts or handles the patient through medication.
As the name implies, gastrology is a specialized area in the medical field that focuses on gastrointestinal tract disorders. Therefore, when there are alarming signs in the gastrointestinal tract creating structural or psychological changes, it is recommended to seek a Gastroenterology specialist immediately.
Generally, a Gastroenterology Specialist works in clinics and certain hospitals. However, at VS Hospitals, you can find the best Gastroenterologist Specialist in Chennai.
They do not perform surgeries, but you will get treated if you face any abnormalities in the gastrointestinal tract right from the passage of food in the food pipe, digestion in the stomach, absorption or excretion of food; you can approach a Gastroenterology Specialist to get it treated. Here’s the list of top Gastroenterologist hospitals in Chennai.
What does a gastroenterologist do?
A gastroenterologist is a medical specialist who deals with the diagnosis and treatment of conditions related to the digestive system, which includes the stomach, intestines, liver, pancreas, gallbladder, and esophagus. The gastroenterologist specialist in Chennai has extensive knowledge of the organs and functions of the digestive system and is trained to manage a wide range of conditions that affect the digestive tract.
What procedures do gastroenterologists perform?
Procedures performed by gastroenterologists may include:
1. Upper Gastrointestinal Endoscopy: This procedure involves the use of a thin, flexible tube with a camera attached to examine the esophagus, stomach, and upper part of the small intestine.
2. Colonoscopy: This procedure involves the use of a flexible tube with a camera attached to examine the colon and rectum for abnormalities or signs of disease.
3. Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS): This procedure uses sound waves to create images of the digestive tract and surrounding organs.
4. Capsule Endoscopy: This procedure involves swallowing a small, pill-sized camera that takes images as it travels through the digestive tract.
5. Liver Biopsy: This procedure involves removing a small sample of liver tissue to diagnose and evaluate liver disease.
6. Polypectomy: This procedure involves the removal of polyps, which are small growths that can develop in the colon or rectum and may be a sign of cancer.
When should you see a gastroenterologist?
You should see the best gastroenterologist specialist in Chennai if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms:
1. Abdominal Pain: If you are experiencing persistent or severe abdominal pain, it may be a sign of a digestive condition that requires medical attention.
2. Changes in Bowel Movements: If you are experiencing diarrhea, constipation, or other changes in bowel habits, it may be a sign of a digestive condition.
3. Difficulty Swallowing: If you are experiencing difficulty swallowing, it may be a sign of a condition affecting the esophagus or stomach.
4. Blood in Stool: If you notice blood in your stool, it may be a sign of a gastrointestinal condition that requires medical attention.
5. Chronic Heartburn: If you experience chronic heartburn, it may be a sign of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or other conditions affecting the esophagus.
6. Unexplained Weight Loss: If you are experiencing unexplained weight loss, it may be a sign of a digestive condition that requires medical attention.
7. Abnormal Liver Function: If you have been diagnosed with abnormal liver function, a gastroenterologist can help diagnose and manage the underlying condition.
Diseases Related to Gastroenterology
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Celiac disease
- Lactose intolerance
- Chronic diarrhea or chronic inflammation
- Gastrointestinal cancer
- Pancreatic disease
- Perianal abscesses
- Peptic ulcer disease
- Crohn’s disease
- Diverticular disease
What is Gastroenterology?
Gastroenterology is the investigation of the typical capability and sicknesses of the throat, stomach, small digestive tract, colon and rectum, pancreas, gallbladder, bile duct, and liver. It is a comprehensive understanding of the normal functioning of the gastrointestinal system that involves knowledge of various processes, such as the movement of food through the stomach and intestines (motility), the breakdown and absorption of nutrients, the elimination of waste, and the liver’s role as a digestive organ.
What Makes Gastroenterologists Unique?
The novel preparation that Gastroenterologists complete gives them the capacity to give a superior grade and exhaustive consideration to patients with a wide assortment of gastrointestinal illnesses.
Gastroenterologists play out the heft of exploration including gastrointestinal endoscopic techniques along with the understanding of results, and are viewed as specialists in the field.
Studies have shown that Gastroenterologists perform better colonoscopy assessments and thorough consultative administrations when contrasted with different doctors.
Gastrointestinal System includes
- The mouth
- The salivary glands
- The pharynx
- The esophagus
- The stomach
- The small and the large intestine
- The liver
- The gallbladder
- The pancreas
- The colon
- The rectum and
- The anus
There are certain conditions treated by a Gastroenterology Specialist include:
- Acid reflex
- Stole diseases
- Cancer involving G-tract
- Digestive disorders
The procedures are performed to examine the upper and lower gastrointestinal tracts and detect the tumours or gallstones to treat them accordingly. Some of the common procedures include:
- Endoscopy – To examine the internal organ or tissue by making minimal incisions.
- Colonoscopy – To view the inside of the bowel using a colonoscope into your rectum.
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) combines X-ray and endoscope to treat diseases or disorders in the bile and pancreatic ducts.
- Sigmoidoscopy – To examine the rectum and lower parts of the intestine.
- Enteroscopy– Two balloons are attached to the endoscope to view the small intestine.
- Liver Biopsy – To examine the dysfunction of the liver by inserting a thin needle in your skin or liver.
When to Consult a Gastroenterologist?
When a person faces any abnormality or symptoms mentioned below, he has to seek an immediate aid of a Gastroenterology Specialist without any delay.
1. Severe abdominal pain
3. Blood in the stool
4. Digestive problems
5. Nausea or vomiting
Best Gastroenterologist Specialist in Chennai at VS Hospitals
Men and women who have a family history of colon cancer are prone to a higher risk of gastrointestinal problems. Although regular screening would aid in the early detection of colon cancer and in getting treatments for the betterment of your health in overcoming the gastrointestinal disease, it is essential to consult a Gastroenterology Specialist to gather more details about the screening procedures to get treated appropriately.
Dr. Mohammed Ali
(MBBS, MD – General Medicine, DM – Gastroenterology)
Dr. Mohammed Ali is a highly experienced Gastroenterologist Specialist in Chennai with over 30 years of practice and teaching in Chennai. During his career, Dr. Ali has trained more than 50 DM Gastro Post-Graduates and served as the Secretary and President of the Indian Society of Gastroenterology.
He is currently a Consultant Gastroenterologist and Interventional Endotherapist at Billroth Hospitals in Shenoy Nagar and VS Hospitals in Kilpauk. This renowned Gastroenterologist Specialist in Chennai has presented numerous papers at both national and international conferences, many of which have been published in reputable journals. He has also held prestigious positions besides being a Trustee of the Tamilnadu Gastroenterology Trust.
Dr. J. Saravanan
(MBBS, MS (Surgery), F.MAS, FIAGES, FALS (HPB), FALS (Hernia), FALS (CRS), M. Ch (Surgical Gastro)
Dr. J. Saravanan is a highly accomplished Surgical Gastroenterologist / Hepato-Pancreatic Biliary / Advanced Laparoscopic Surgeon. With over 20 years of surgical experience, this best Gastroenterologist Specialist in Chennai has honed his skills as an accomplished Laparoscopic Surgeon in HPB and Gastrointestinal Specialist.
Moreover, this Gastroenterologist Specialist has special interests in complicated high-end HPB and GI procedures, including liver resection for Klatskin’s tumour and liver cancer, pancreatic surgeries, and advanced laparoscopic procedures like left hemicolectomy/ LAP right for colonic cancer, IPOM / LAP inguinal surgery, LAP splenectomy LAP, etc. He is also specialized in laser haemorrhoidoplasty, laser fistula, and laser pilonidal sinus Surgery.
Dr. K. Premkumar
(MD, DM., (Gastro))
Dr. K. Premkumar, a Gastroenterologist Specialist in Chennai is also associated with Apollo Speciality Hospital and St. Thomas Hospital in Chennai. He has over ten years of experience in teaching medical students and is a designated postgraduate teacher and guide for students pursuing the DM (Gastro) super specialty degree.
This best Gastroenterologist Specialist in Chennai is an active member of several medical associations and societies and regularly participates in professional meets and symposia, particularly national conferences conducted by the (API) and (ISG). He has co-authored several research-based papers presented at the ISG conferences and remains in touch with his peer group in gastro specialization.
To conclude, you can approach the best Gastroenterologist Specialist in Chennai for getting a diagnosis and treatment of digestive system disorders, using medication, lifestyle changes, or surgery. Seeking their help is crucial for persistent digestive symptoms or a family history of digestive disorders to improve patients’ quality of life.