A gastroenterology specialist can help you deal with any gastrointestinal tract disease. A gastroenterology specialist treats a patient by performing endoscopic procedures to view or diagnose the GI tracts or handles the patients through medication.
As the name implies, gastrology is a specialized area in the medical field that focuses on gastrointestinal tract disorders. Therefore, when there are alarming signs in the gastrointestinal tract creating structural or psychological changes, it is recommended to seek a gastroenterology specialist immediately.
Generally, a gastroenterology specialist works in clinics and certain hospitals. However, at VS Hospitals, you can find the best Gastroenterologist specialist in Chennai.
They do not perform surgeries, but you will get treated if you face any abnormalities in the gastrointestinal tract right from the passage of food in the food pipe, digestion in the stomach, absorption or excretion of food; you can approach a gastroenterology specialist to get it treated. Here’s the list of top gastroenterologist hospitals in Chennai.
Diseases Related to Gastroenterology
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Celiac Disease
- Lactose Intolerance
- Chronic diarrhea or chronic inflammation
- Gastrointestinal cancer
- Pancreatic disease
- Perianal abscesses
- Peptic ulcer disease
- Crohn’s disease
- Diverticular disease
Gastrointestinal System includes
- The mouth
- The salivary glands
- The pharynx
- The esophagus
- The stomach
- The small and the large intestine
- The liver
- The gallbladder
- The pancreas
- The colon
- The rectum and
- The anus
There are certain conditions treated by a gastroenterology specialist includes:
- Acid reflex
- Stole diseases
- Cancer involving GTtract
- Digestive disorders
The procedures are performed to examine the upper and lower gastrointestinal tracts and detect the tumors or gallstones to treat them accordingly. Some of the common procedures include:
- Endoscopy – To examine the internal organ or tissue by making minimal incisions
- Colonoscopy – To view the inside of the bowel using a colonoscope into your rectum
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) combines X-ray and endoscope to treat diseases or disorders in the bile and pancreatic ducts.
- Sigmoidoscopy – To examine the rectum and lower parts of the intestine
- Enteroscopy– Two balloons are attached to the endoscope to view the small intestine
- Liver Biopsy – To examine the dysfunction of the liver by inserting a thin needle in your skin or liver
When to Consult Gastroenterologist
When a person faces any abnormality or symptoms mentioned below, he has to seek an immediate aid of a gastroenterology specialist without any delay.
- Severe abdominal pain
- Blood in the stool
- Digestive problems
- Nausea or vomiting
Best Gastroenterologist Specialist in Chennai at VS
Men and women who have a family history of colon cancer are prone to a higher risk of gastrointestinal problems. Although regular screening would aid in the early detection of colon cancer and for getting treatments for the betterment of your health in overcoming the gastrointestinal disease, it is essential to consult a gastroenterology specialist to gather more details about the screening procedures to get treated appropriately.